Interested in making a dessert that is impressive to look at, easy to make… and gluten and lactose-free? It doesn’t get any better than this Pavlova that is virtuous to eat and gorgeous to look at!
Start with preparing your Mango Coconut Mousse and then continue with preparing the meringue. This way, while the Mango Coconut Mousse is setting in the refrigerator, you can whip up this meringue, bake it and allow additional time for it to dry in the oven.
So, what are you waiting for? Prepare yourself for a tasty treat that is going to “Wow!” your guests!
6 egg whites, at room temperature
2 cups sugar, divided
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cornflour
2 cups Mango Coconut Mousse (see recipe)
2 cups fruit (berries, mango chunks etc.)
- Preheat oven to 250°F and adjust oven rack to centre position. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Using the bottom of a 9” cake pan, trace a circle on the parchment paper and place it back on the baking tray, traced side down.
- In a clean bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the egg whites and salt for about 30 seconds on medium speed until slightly frothy. Add 1 cup sugar, increase the speed to high and continue beating for about 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then continue beating on high speed until the froth disappears and the eggs look like foam. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl again. Then increase the speed to high and gradually add the remaining 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated and the meringue reaches stiff peak stage.
- Sprinkle the cornflour over the meringue. Add the vanilla essence and vinegar and lightly whisk them in to incorporate into the meringue.
- Scoop all the meringue inside the circle traced on the parchment paper in a circular pile. Using an offset spatula, lightly scoop up a hollow in the middle of the meringue. Then using the spatula, swipe the outer edge upwards and in towards the scooped hollow to form a bowl.
- Bake for 1 ½ hour. Turn off oven and without opening the door, let meringue continue to dry in the oven for another hour. Set aside.
- When ready to assemble the Pavlova, smear 2 tsp of mango coconut mousse on a cake platter or serving plate and place the meringue on it. If there is no shallow hollow in the center, gently scoop out enough to create a “bowl” for the mousse. Pour all of the mousse into the centre of the meringue. Garnish with cut fruit as desired and serve.