Oatmeal Cranberry Squares
Ever wonder how to use any extra cranberry sauce after the Holidays? Well, here’s a solution that’s both quick and finger-licking delicious!
1 1/2 cups rolled oats, or quick oats
1 1/2 cups flour
I/2 tsp baking soda
A pinch table salt
I cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups cranberry sauce
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350C and grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ x 9″ baking pan.
2. Mix together the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar. Add the butter and mix well until the mixture looks crumbly, like oatmeal itself!
3. Evenly spread half of the mixture into the prepared greased baking pan and press down to compact the bottom of the pan.
4. Evenly layer the cranberry sauce over it and then spread the remaining oat mixture on top of the cranberry sauce, lightly pressing down to evenly distribute the oatmeal mixture on the surface.
5. Place in the centre rack of the oven and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until the top is golden brown.
6. When done, remove from the oven and immediately cut into squares (4 columns and 4 rows) while still in the pan. Allow to cool before serving.
Note: You can use either rolled oats or quick oats for this recipe. The only difference is that rolled oats will yield a more chewy texture. Otherwise, the taste is the same! In fact, I have used quick oats for the Oatmeal Cranberry Squares in this picture and they tasted fabulous!